The mission of Grace Requires Understanding, Inc is to be a resourceful advocate for family providers who have chosen to serve individuals with developmental disabilities in a home- based setting, recognizing that in supporting families, both natural and surrogate, we are supporting the individuals served within, and as a part of, those families. GRU, Inc firmly adheres to the principles of consumer preference, normalization, least restrictive environment, dignity of risk, honoring of culture and respecting of self-determination.
We believe that, within the developmental disabilities waiver, the home-based residential model is the most secure and effective environment within which these principles can be promoted and brought to bear. Accordingly, GRU, Inc is a single focus agency that supports individuals and families within the guidelines of home-based and respite services. We strive to serve as a resource to individuals and families in an effort to enhance growth, through understanding, toward the highest possible level of potential for each individual as a respected and valued member of his/her family and the community at large. GRU, Inc aspires to include, to the greatest extent possible, families and individuals served in the agency processes that establish policy and assure delivery of quality service.
GRU Inc. Standards of Service
GRU, Inc maintains standards applying to the vision and mission of the agency and the delivery of professional services.
- WE BELIEVE all people served have basic physical, psychological, social , cultural and spiritual needs and that those needs are inexorably linked to the principles of normalization of environment, dignity of risk, least restrictive environment and person centered support.
- WE BELIEVE all people served have the right to feel they have worth, a right to choose, a right to exercise their options and opinions and a right to enjoy independence and free will. WE BELIEVE that at the heart of all desires are the desires to belong, to be understood and to be appreciated.
- WE BELIEVE all people served have the right to receive prompt, dependable, safe, compassionate and professional supports in their homes and in the community.
- WE BELIEVE dedicated people who are highly skilled and competent in their roles and responsibilities, and who are recognized as being so, best provide such supports.
- WE BELIEVE the positive attributes of people are cultivated in an environment that is positive, pleasant, loving, rewarding and stimulating.
- WE BELIEVE this agency and all people providing home and community based services must be held to the highest ethical standards.
- WE BELIEVE integrity of action is at the core of all effective decision-making, human interaction, service and partnership.
- WE will not intentionally or knowingly solicit or accept renumeration, directly or indirectly, in cash or in kind from any person, firm, association, partnership or corporation for securing service recipients for GRU, Inc.
- WE will apply all available resources in the pursuit of the protection of rights, interests, safety and well-being for the people we serve and their caregivers.
- WE will not tolerate abuse, neglect or exploitation, including verbal expressions of abuse.